A 130 acre forest park with a pond
In 1889 George Wheelock donated 12 acres of land to be called “The Children’s Wood”. In 1896 he added 83 acres which he named Robin Hood Forest. The forest is located on a west-facing hillside with a scenic pond at its base. The park has numerous ledges and massive boulders. A small stream cascades into the pond. A maze of trails criss-crosses the park. The facilities include a swimming pool, tennis courts, playground equipment, picnic tables, park benches and a playing field. Bathrooms are open in the summer and the pond is groomed for skating in the winter. A detailed brochure on Robin Hood Forest and the Children’s Wood is available from the City of Keene Parks and Recreation Department.
To get there: Turn left at 366 Reservoir Street off of Roxbury Street. Parking is in the lot between the pond and the swimming pool.